Want to work at a place where people love their job?
Position Opening: Sweet Shop Coordinator
Position Opening: Sweet Shop Coordinator
The Tuttle’s sweet shop offers beverages, treats, and simple farm to table style lunch to Tuttle’s visitors. This person will handle the day to day operations of the sweet shop including greeting guests, taking orders, operating cash register, making slushies, preparing lunches, helping to plan menu, keeping things clean, organizing inventory, and providing direction to the fall sweet shop crew.
Some of the qualifications we’re looking for:
- Desire to help guests have a great farm fresh food experience when they visit the orchard.
- Past experience with food service and/or a love of good food/cooking for groups.
- Organized. Self-motivated. Ability to multi-task.
- Great customer service skills.
- This is a 20-40 hour a week seasonal position May 1st – Oct 31. Could be 20, 30, or 40 hours a weekd depending on candidates preference.
- Weekday daytime (10AM-3PM) availability is important.
- Must be 18 years old. Able to stand for long periods and lift food items regularly.
How can you apply? Attend our Interview Day on March 28st from 12-5PM. Print application and complete before you come. Application for Employment Sweet Shop Coordinator
Looking for a fun job this fall?
Looking for a fun job this fall?
Every fall Tuttles hires a crew of people to help with the fall season. We being the process of hiring this crew in mid-August during our interview days. Fall positions run from early September through late October.
What you can expect working at Tuttles?
- Fun, family friendly work environment (Tuttle’s guests are a great bunch to work for…lots of fun!
- Flexible, part time positions
- Sundays Off (We are also closed on Sundays providing staff an opportunity to spend the day with their families.)
- Hard working, fast paced environment (we are a farm…so we believe in old fashioned hard work. Days are busy and go fast.)
- Competitive pay for retail environments.
- Diversity (there are lots of things to be done at the orchard. There’s a good chance you won’t be doing the same thing every day).
- Outdoor, varied weather work environment. Our employees tell us they love being so close to nature. Lots of positions (although not all) are working outside. This also means you’ll work in a variety of weather conditions.
We often hear from our fall staff at the end of the season: “This is the funnest job I’ve ever had…and the job where I’ve worked the hardest.”
Why people tell us they love working at Tuttles:
- Fun, fast paced environment.
- Tuttle’s guests are great to work with…people enjoy being at the orchard in the fall.
- Every day is a new experience…so many different jobs at the orchard to do.
- Fun, small town, family atmosphere…at Tuttles…we believe those who work here are a part of our extended family.
- Free apple cider slushies. Discount in the Farm Store. Free Saturday lunch in the fall.
Ideal Candidate for Tuttle’s Fall Crew (some positions have other requirements):
- Positive attitude and good customer service skills.
- Willingness to work hard.
- Strong desire to do what it takes to help Tuttle’s guests have a positive, fun experience.
- Initiative. Ability to see ways to help guests have a great experience and take proactive steps.
- Willingness to work at a variety of tasks in any given day (we believe in cross training and multitasking).
- Ability to do some lifting (for retail positions…need to be able to lift crates of apples approx 45lb)
- Ability to stand and work outside environments for extended periods.
- Availability to work on Saturdays (for most positions…except field trip guides).
- Be at least 16 years old (18 years old for a few positions).
- Have a desire for a part time position for a few months (some full time positions available in picking crew/cider production). Great job options for stay at home parents during school hours, high school students, retired adults, those in job transition, those looking for supplemental income on Saturdays)
Fall Seasonal Positions included:
- Field Trip Guide/Tour Guides (8 positions): lead tours of elementary and preschool children through the facilities. Training provided. Experience in teaching or leading groups a plus. Weekdays 9-2; 3-5days a week. Great job for those who want to work during school hours.
- Farm Store Crew (6-8 positions) Assist customers in our farm store. Cashiers. Prepare apples for sale. Stock shelves (weekday and Saturday hours; part-time).
- U-pick/Outdoor Activities Crew (6-8 positions): Direct customers to the appropriate apple and pumpkin u-pick areas. Answer questions, tally orders, receive tickets for play area, maze, hayrides, and restock items. Assist tour staff with school groups as needed. (weekday and Saturday hours; part-time)
- Grill Crew (8-10 postions): Help prepare and sell items at Tuttle’s grill including corn on the cob, hot dogs, brats, etc. (Saturday hours)
- Caramel Apple Chef (1 position): Make caramel apples. Help in Sweet Shop area. (weekday and Saturday hours, approx 30 hours/week)
- Sweet Shop Crew (4 positions): help customers with sweet shop orders. prepare apple cider slushies, package caramel apples, donuts, etc. (weekday and Saturday hours)
- Afternoon Produce Picking/Washing Crew (2 positions): Assist with picking and washing pumpkins and gourds. Sort apples for sale. Two afternoons a week (4-7) and Saturdays.
- Apple Sorting/Cider Making Crew (2 positions): Assist with washing and sorting apples for retail sale. Assist with production of cider including dumping apples, checking apples, jugging cider.This position involves lifting of 50 lbs of apples on a consistent basis. Weekdays; can be full or part time for Sep/Oct. ICE students wanting to work 7-10AM hours can apply for this position.
- Apple Picking Crew (2 positions): Be a part of the crew that picks the apples off the trees. This position involves lifting of 50 lbs of apples on a consistent basis. Weekdays 8-5; full time position for Sep/Oct.
- Parking Attendants (1-2 positions): Assist with directing cars on Saturdays. Must be over 18 years old for this position. Saturdays Only.
- Hayride Driver (2-3 positions): Drive tractor pulling trailing to pumpkin patch. Must have LOTS of prior experience with manual & hydrostatic tractors and strong safety consciousness. Must be 18 years or older for this position. (weekday morning and Saturday)
Tuttles does almost all hiring for these positions during a couple interview days in August. If you want to work at Tuttles, we strongly encourage you to come one of these days.
Dates for 2016 are not yet available. Join our waiting list to be notified about positions and interview days at Tuttles.
Please print Application for Employment and bring it with you completed to one of the above days. These days are held at our Farm Store (5717 North 300 West, Greenfield, IN 46140). Applications only accepted during the above times. If you are unable to come during these times, please drop off your application to the farm store before Saturday, August 1st. However, please note…preference will be given to those who are able to attend on one of these days.
Are there jobs available during other times of the year?
We hire almost all of our staff in the fall season. Positions available for holiday, spring, and fall seasons are filled from fall staff from the previous seasons who demonstrate aptitude and are a good fit with the Tuttle’s culture. Positions for other seasons are limited and almost entirely part time. If you have a desire to work at Tuttles in other seasons, we suggest you join us for a fall season to see if Tuttle’s might be a good fit for you. We do not accept applications in other seasons of the year.
What if I am not available to attend the interview days?
If you are not able to come during the above listed times, you may come by the farm store before that time to leave your application. It is important to bring your application the week before the interview days. Do not wait until after those dates. Do NOT send applications or resumes by email or fax. Priority will be given to applicants who apply during the above dates. Additional applications will be considered if openings are still available after that time.
I have applied for a fall position, when will I hear back?
Because of the large number of applicants we typically receive, Tuttles only contacts applicants who will be called back for a second interview for positions. You should expect to hear something by Labor Day at the latest if you are being considered. However, sometimes we continue to hire into September if we find the season is a busy one. We are sorry, we typically receive more qualified applicants then we can hire.
I don’t know a lot about apples, does Tuttles provide training?
Yes, we provide several trainings to our seasonal staff including “Apple School” where you will become an expert in all things apple. Tour guides will receive several days of extensive training to prepare them for leading groups through the orchard. Paid training is required to work at Tuttles.
I have applied for a position in the past, should I apply again?
We often have more qualified applicants then we can hire so if you have applied in the past and were not called for a position and would still like to work at Tuttles, please apply again. Keep in mind that Saturday availability is important for many positions.
I have worked at Tuttles in the past, should I reapply?
If you have worked at Tuttles in a past season and would like to return to work at Tuttles, please complete the availability page of the application and return it to Helen or Ruth Ann before or during the interview days. It is important to contact us before the interview days. Please note: Tuttles reevaluates all positions each year. Employment in the past does not guarantee employment in future seasons. However, many Tuttles employees return year after year to the fall season.
How long will these positions last?
Typically fall positions run from early September to the later part of October.